The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty six cities and water districts that supply drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. The mission of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way.
STUDENT INTERN (IT - Enterprise Water Systems)
The Business Technology Group, Information Technology Section, currently has one (1) opening for Student Intern within the IT Enterprise Water Systems Unit at our downtown Los Angeles location.
This temporary part-time Student Intern will receive training and mentoring in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), including GIS mapping, data maintenance, analysis, and infrastructure support. Student Intern will gain practical knowledge and exposure to GIS mapping and data maintenance processes/procedures.
The functions of this classification include, but are not limited to:
1. Performs research as assigned and applies academic theory, training and education to real life work situations and environments.
2. Participates on project teams as required.
3. Learns and assists with tasks related to their areas of discipline and assigned area of responsibility.
4. Learns and assists to plan, conduct studies and research, and compile information from various sources; provides updates and prepares reports.
5. Learns and assists to collect and analyze statistical data, generates and maintains records and report findings, makes recommendations.
6. Learns and assists in inputting, maintaining, and verifying data.
7. Learns and assists in the implementation of goals and objectives.
8. Learns and assists in identifying opportunities for improving processes to optimize efficiency.
9. Performs office duties and activities as required.
10. Performs other related Student Intern job duties as required.
Current enrollment in an accredited four-year college or university carrying a minimum of 12 semester units or 8 quarter units with junior or senior standing in a related major and maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher on a 4.0 scale, or current enrollment in an accredited graduate degree program in a related major with a grade point average of 2.75 or higher.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES and REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS:
Valid California Class C Driver License may be required during the course of employment.
-Basic understanding of GIS principals, including cartography and geoprocessing
-Programming experience in VB.NET, C#, Python desirable
-Experience with Environmental Systems Research Institute (ESRI) mapping software
-Experience with Microsft SQL and/or Oracle RDBMS desirable
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items such as papers, books, or small parts; driving and automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Work Schedule: TBD - Less than 20 hours per week.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. To receive a copy of the complete job description, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the position requires a college/university degree, said degree must have been issued by an educational institution recognized as accredited by the United States Department of Education. Degrees issued by educational institutions outside the United States must include documentation validating the equivalency of that degree to the same degree in the United States to be considered acceptable for Metropolitan purposes.
Reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities may be requested by calling (213) 217-7738 at least 5 working days in advance of the scheduled examination date(s).
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer.