Job Title: Administrative Assistant I
Posting Date: 12/28/2012
Job Number: 3277637
Los Angeles, CA
Work Schedule: 9/80
Application Filling Period: December 28, 2012 - January 15, 2013, or until sufficient applications have been received
Salary Range: $21.76 - $28.71 per hour
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty-six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan’s mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan’s facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct, five water treatment plants with a combined production capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day, nine reservoirs, 800 miles of pipeline, and 16 hydroelectric power plants.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I
The MWD's Water System Operation Group is currently establishing an eligibility list for ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I at various facilities in Southern California (Los Angeles area). This eligibility list will be maintained for twenty-four (24) months from the close of the application period. (See the list of facilities in the questionnaire attached to this job announcement.) There are immediate openings at the Diemer Water Treatment Plant (Yorba Linda, CA) and the Jensen Water Treatment Plant (Granada Hills, CA).
These ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I positions will report to one of the various District facilities, which will be determined as openings occur.
The general functions of these positions include a variety of non-complex administrative duties such as answering phones, taking and transmitting messages, handling mail and faxes, overseeing reservations and coordination of meeting/conference rooms, updating room calendars, scheduling service calls for office equipment, and filing various types of office documents. Other duties performed may include preparing reports, lists and schedules; coordinating Med-Van and shoe mobile visits; processing safety glasses and shoe requests; scheduling, entering, tracking, and retrieving training data using the online training system; processing expense reports using the TER system; entering incidents using the Incident Reporting system; coordinating events and providing appropriate support; ordering and tracking various materials or supplies orders; and providing excellent customer service at all times. May perform weekly review of timesheets.
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in business administration, public administration or a related field;
· Four (4) years’ directly-related experience;
· A combination of academic training and directly related experience equaling four (4) years.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
· These positions require light physical effort, which may include occasional light lifting to a 10-pound limit and some bending, stooping, standing or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.
· Indoor and outdoor work environment. The work environment may include some exposure to outside elements.
· May require travel to various sites.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES and REGISTRATIONS REQUIREMENTS
· A valid driver’s license from state of residency equivalent to a California Class C (passenger car) or higher.
· The Applicant Profile, resume, response to the questionnaire, and online skills testing will be used to screen an applicant’s ability to meet the minimum requirements.
· Based on a comparative analysis, only those candidates demonstrating the strongest backgrounds will be invited to testing.
· Those applicants invited for testing will participate in a written exercise and an oral technical panel interview.
Job-Related Selection Criteria:
· 45% Technical knowledge/skills including knowledge of general office procedures, Microsoft Office Suite, report generation, telephone/front office etiquette
· 20% Teamwork
· 10% Job Preparation (Education, experience, and training relevant to the position)
· 10% Organization
· 10% Oral Communication
· 05% Technical Written Communication
This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. To receive a copy of the complete job description, please send an email to email@example.com.
If the position requires a college/university degree, it must have been issued by an educational institution accredited by the United States Department of Education. Degrees issued by educational institutions outside the United States must include documentation validating the equivalency of that degree to the same degree in the United States to be considered acceptable for Metropolitan purposes.
Reasonable accommodation for people with disabilities may be requested by calling (213) 217-7738 at least 5 working days in advance of the scheduled examination date(s).
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer.